Monday, December 28, 2020

Number 71


On December 20th, I posted my 70th blog post. That's right. Seven. Zero. 

When I started this blog back in May of this year, I didn't really know what form it was going to take. I set about creating it in order to tell the story. 

What story? The story of Brain Fit Academy. The story of what it means to be a part of the company-  both from a parent's point of view as well as a Brain Fit Coach. The story of what it feels like to go through the program as a parent. The story of what it feels like to go through as a coach.

Brain Fit is one of those things that's hard to explain. Ask any of the coaches, parents or Pam Formosa (the owner). It's hard to explain what we do and it's even harder to explain the feeling behind it all. Hence- my blog. Telling the world (or at least whoever would like to read my posts!) about Brain Fit Academy. Telling the world what we do, what we teach, explaining the "why" of the company, and helping those that aren't living it- to understand us. Understand us- even if it's only a little bit better. 

Those are the reasons I started this blog, and this is where I stand now- at post number 71. 

And so? For post number 71, and to wrap up the year of 2020, I would like to highlight some of my favorite posts in this blog. 

Some are favorites because of what they stand for. Some are favorites because of the information they contain. And some, are favorites simply because I like the way I communicated. You decide which ones you like. 

And, of course- you are always welcome to explore the others posts that I didn't highlight because one of those may resonate particularly strongly with you. If that's the case? Great! Shoot me an email and let me know because I'd love to hear from you.

So- here goes. My favorite posts of 2020:

The Smiles are the Reward: "The smiles all around are what melted my heart.  The smiles all around are what made me know that I needed to continue with this work.  The smiles are what brought tears of joy to my eyes."

It's Not About Me- But it WAS About Me: "As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I came to Brain Fit because of my son, but the (unexpected) side-effect that happened is that I also changed."

There's Smiles, but There's Also Tears: "Those tears, that need to let go- was reached that day.  It opened the door to integrating the Fear Paralysis reflex, and it was the turning point in his treatment."

You Don't Know What you Don't Know: "Again- dumb-struck.  Why on Earth is this information not disseminated to every school, teacher, OT, pre-school and day care?"

The Big Green Ball: "But, you see- that ball, that seemingly magical ball was my all-time favorite "prop" (for lack of a better word) for using with Brain Fit Clients."

Primal: "Her mother was working so hard against something that is primal. In fact, it's one of the most primitive responses humans have- the Fight/Flight/Freeze Response."

You Can Change the Story: "Today, I sit in a different place in my life, and am coming at this idea from another, different, perspective.  I am looking at the ability to "change the story" from the perspective of a Brain Fit Academy coach."

The Body Knows-it Just Might Need a Reminder: "When we start working with clients, it's like we "jump-start" the reflexes again.  We jump-start them with intentional movements and activities and play."

I Want to Shout it From the Rooftops: "It's not a new kitchen gadget. It's not a new fad diet. It's a way to change your life."

My Why: "Being a coach, and the passion for my work are because I want to help kids and families be happier.  I want to help them find their smiles. I want them to enjoy the time they spend together as a family. I want the kids to feel happier in their skin and I want the parents to feel less stressed."

Breakthroughs: "But one of the many things that I love about the approach we take at Brain Fit is that we can work others (or ourselves) through strong emotions and feelings without having to talk about them. We literally can move through emotions by setting an intention (a goal) and moving our bodies using different movement activities."

Out of the Loop: "And the inside? Well, here is where the magic is supposed to happen. You see, inside the loop is where (ideally) we want to spend our time."

The Baby Brain: "Well you see, that green part of the brain- the emotional brain- is where that "swirling storm inside" might happen. We talk to kids (and adults alike) about how sometimes we get "stuck" in that green part of the brain. We get stuck in that emotional brain and it becomes the "swirling storm inside".

It's Mom's Turn: "Wow. Have you known many places that you take your children to and they say to you- "Hey mom? Maybe today should be about you!"

Thankful: "In this crazy year of 2020, amidst a pandemic that threw the world into chaos, I am thinking about tomorrow's Thanksgiving Day and all that I am thankful for in regards to Brain Fit Academy"

I Hear and I Forget: "You see, at Brain Fit, we are doers. We are movers and experiencers and noticers. We teach our clients how to move (intentionally) and experience and notice."

Resilience: "Since being involved with Brain Fit Academy- first with my son and then as a Brain Fit coach, I feel like I now have the capability to go beyond coping and have become much more resilient."

Well- there you are. My favorite posts of this year. Read what draws your attention. Explore other posts if you want.

Enjoy- and I'll see you in 2021 with number 72.