Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Resilience


Resilience
. It seems to be one of the many buzz words going around these days- but what does that really mean?

By definition, resilient means "Able to withstand or recover from difficult conditions."  In other words- deal with, and/or be able to bounce back when bad stuff happens. Fall seven times- stand up eight.

Since being a part of Brain Fit Academy, I've learned how to be resilient. I've learned what that means. I truly think that before Brain Fit, I didn't know what it meant to be resilient. I went about my days hoping, trying to figure stuff out. I worked hard to recover from situations but when they just kept coming up, I wouldn't say that I glided through them with resiliency. I never really withstood difficulties easily. I didn't "bounce back". I didn't fall seven and stand up eight. Instead, I felt like I fell down seven, and eight, and nine- and then maybe stood up at ten. But it seemed like I never bounced back for long. I wasn't being resilient, I was coping.

Since being involved with Brain Fit Academy- first with my son and then as a Brain Fit coach, I feel like I now have the capability to go beyond coping and have become much more resilient. 

How did that happen? 

It happened by learning. It happened by learning about how the brain works so that I can better understand "emotional storms". It happened by learning tools that help me to get "back in the loop". It happened by learning about how movement can help the brain and body move through difficult situations. 

Now having said all that, am I saying that I would call myself resilient 100% of the time? Heck no- but would we expect anyone to be anything 100% of the time? I know I certainly don't expect that because that would be asking for perfection and no one is perfect- no one.

We don't need to be perfect, but we can be more resilient. We can be more resilient overall and still need our support system. It's ok to lean on friends and family during hard times. After all, that's why we have them in our lives! I know that sometimes it feels like it might take too much effort, or we might feel like we just want to wallow in our own dismay for a little while. That's ok, because we're only human after all!

It's at times like that when we bring in our support system. Friends and family are there to help be our strength- our "rock" when it's hard for us to be one for ourselves. They can help us stand up on the eighth time (or maybe even before) when we get stuck on the floor and can't find our feet. They help us to remember that we have tools when we can't remember for ourselves. They may even use the tools right along with us. 

And as a Brain Fit coach? I would like to think that my clients consider me part of their support system. I can help them stand up on the eighth time. I can help them remember their tools. I can help them remember that yes, indeed they are resilient and will get through it. 

Resilience is something you can learn. It's something that others can help you with. It's something that will help you ten-fold in situations where you may have fallen seven times and need to stand up on the eighth.

Don't be afraid of the eighth stand up. 

And if you can't find your feet? Contact us at Brain Fit. We'll hold your hand, pull you up and teach you tools so that you can do it more easily on your own the next time.

Resiliency.