Tuesday, December 8, 2020

I Hear and I Forget



You've probably heard the famous saying above. If you're a teacher, it might have even been part of your teacher training. It's one that always stuck with me as a teacher, and it sticks with me even more in my job at Brain Fit Academy.

Last weekend I taught the second part of our Primitive Reflex Integration class. I taught it online due to us being in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic. But as Pam Formosa (owner/director of Brain fit) and I were planning in order to move this class online, one of the main things that we wanted to do was to keep the class as experiential as possible.

You see, at Brain Fit, we are doers. We are movers and experiencers and noticers. We teach our clients how to move (intentionally) and experience and notice. We experience our reflexes, we experience what it's like to do intentional movement, and we experience what it's like to see positive change. 

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember. 
I do and I understand.  

I do and I understand. I experience and I understand. I experience and I understand because I was able to feel what it was like. I experience and I understand because I was able to feel what it was like when something changed. Or I experience and I understand because I make connections to myself- or to my family members, or to those I work with.

At the reflex class, I was helping people experience. I was helping the participants to learn the reflexes, but then experience them as well. Experience them through discussion. Experience through practicing them. Experience them through trying out some of the movements for themselves.

Now, was all of that easy over a video conference? No. Did we make it work? Yes. Would I like my participants to have had even more time "do-ing"? More time experiencing? Absolutely! 

But ultimately- ultimately?? We maintained the integrity of what Brain Fit stands for. We maintained the integrity of the class and brought "doing" to the participants. We brought doing and understanding to a great group that came (from across the country!) to join me online for an amazing journey of ah-ha moments and personal connections. We maintained what we stand for- the "I do and I understand" part of Brain Fit.

I am eternally grateful to be part of a company that brings such amazing learning, and teaching and doing into this world.

I may hear, and forget. I may see, and remember, but when I do- I understand.

And at Brain Fit Academy? 

I understand.....