Friday, June 19, 2020

You Don't Know What you Don't Know

If you'd never heard of an apple, then you wouldn't know to eat one, correct? Or- if you'd never seen or knew that a phone existed, you wouldn't be looking to call your friend from one.

But- what about once you do know about those things? Would you eat the apple if it tasted good and nourished your body? Would you call your friend on the phone if it was handed to you and you could talk to them?

For me, I've had this kind of mantra that I live by over the last few years.  It's a quote by the (late) Maya Angelou:




Once of the most recent ways that this mantra has played a part in my life is when I first learned about Primitive Reflex Integration.  When I first saw a presentation by Brain Fit Academy, and learned about primitive reflexes, I was dumb-struck.  How had I never heard of this before? I was a seasoned teacher, having taught preschoolers all the way through 5th grade.  I had two children, one on the Autism Spectrum.  I was familiar with all sorts of alternative treatments for autism- from diet and supplements to other types of programs and play therapies.  And yet, and YET! I had never even heard about primitive reflexes or Primitive Reflex Integration. It had never once crossed my path.  

I didn't know what I didn't know!

After I attended that presentation I, along with calling Brain Fit Academy ASAP to get my son scheduled for a screening, started my usual.  

What's my usual? Research!  I was no stranger to it, having conducted hours and hours and hours of it to find ways to help my son.  But now, the focus turned to Primitive Reflex Integration.  And sure enough, there was a lot of information out there- just focused much more across Europe, the UK and Australia.  

Again- dumb-struck.  Why on Earth is this information not disseminated to every school, teacher, OT, pre-school and day care? Why are people not told about this "apple" sitting there on the tree just waiting to be picked?? 

I still can't say that I know the answer- as to why we aren't more familiar with this type of movement therapy in the U.S., but I will say this: 

Once I knew better, I had to do better!

And that...is what started my journey of moving my son through the program, and eventually a Brain Fit Coach myself!

When you know better, you know that Primitive Reflex Integration:
  • Is intentional movement to integrate (finish) early motor patterns 
  • Can be powerful and life-changing for kids, teens and adults
  • Is easy to learn and do
  • Can calm anxiety, explosive behaviors and fears
  • Can combine with other modalities such as Brain Gym® to help body control, movement and coordination
  • Can have a huge impact on how kids are able to focus and perform in school
  • Can help make life easier for all that do the work
Let's go back to the apple and the phone.  You're reading this, so now you know better- at least a little bit better.  Are you going to do better? 

Do your own research.  Start with brainfitacademy.com if you want.  Follow us on Facebook, watch our videos on YouTube.  

And when you know even better? 

Give us a call or send us an email.  We'd love to hear from you and will hand you the apple.  It really does taste delicious.