Friday, July 24, 2020

You Can Change the Story



We all have a story.  
The story of our life.  
It begins and ends with us. 
It takes twists and turns based on choices we make.

But did you know, that you can change the story? You can change the way you look at things and often, when you do- things can change.

Really looking at things differently for me began when my youngest son was diagnosed with Autism.  When he was around five, I was sitting in an auditorium with a friend at an informational session about Kindergarten.  This friend happened to have a child with similar challenges to my son and we would often discuss ways to help them.  This particular time she mentioned to me that she was going to try a gluten-free diet with her son because she heard that it can help with the symptoms of Autism.  I was intrigued and inquired more.  

That conversation, that choice to "change the way I looked at things" started myself, my son and the rest of my family on a new journey- of treating my son's symptoms by looking at the body as a whole.

Now, I understand that some of you reading this may be thinking that treating Autism in this way doesn't work, and I still respect you and your opinion.  But I know, that for us- for my son- it helped tremendously. So please let's just "agree to disagree" if you are one of those people.

Regardless, I use that analogy to illustrate the fact that you CAN change the story- no matter how stuck you might feel at the time!

Fast-forward to today.  

Today, I sit in a different place in my life, and am coming at this idea from another, different, perspective.  I am looking at the ability to "change the story" from the perspective of a Brain Fit Academy coach.

As a Brain Fit Coach, I have learned that stories- many stories can be changed.
 
Adult stories can be changed. 
Kid stories can be changed.
Teen stories can...be...changed.

If you've read any of my other blog posts, you'll know that at Brain Fit we use a variety of different tools to help "change stories".  Which tools we use aren't important for this post.  The fact that they work is. 

We learn and teach movement tools to kids, families, adults, teachers, professionals- anyone that would like to learn.  Anyone that might be looking to change their story- or the story of someone close- like their child, or someone they work with- like their students.

The fact is, people come to Brain Fit because they are struggling in some (or multiple) ways.  We help them. To the best of our knowledge and expertise, we help them!

And those clients who come to us? Those people? Many, many change their story because they were willing to "look at things a little differently". 

And when you do that- are open to changing the way you look at things...the things you look at also change. 

And that's where the beauty lies.