Friday, September 11, 2020

Parents are Partners


Parents know their children best. They are the ones that kids spend the most time with. Parents know the ins and outs and the ups and downs of their children. Parents are usually the first ones to know if something is "off" with their child or if they are just having a bad day.

This is why parents are important partners for the work we do at Brain Fit. Often times, parents join us for our sessions. I like when that happens because (especially at the beginning) there is a lot of teaching to do- for the child and parent!

When my son was attending Brain Fit, I would join at the beginning for the Brain Gym® settling-in activity called "P.A.C.E." and then I would help him recap the week with our coach and discuss ideas for a goal. After that, I would take a chair and observe the session; occasionally chatting with our coach and asking about what she was working on with him. And, she would educate me as well- about the reflex he was working on, changes she was seeing, etc. 

We have a lot of on-going education at Brain Fit. So much of what we do is new to parents so one of the jobs that I (as a coach) have is to educate the parents as well as the child. As well as adult classes, parents receive on-going education from their child's coach during sessions.

I have mentioned in other blog posts how I want to empower my clients- the children. But I also want to empower the parents. Just like I said above, parents know their children best. If parents are given the same tools and knowledge that the children have, they can help carry it over at home. They know their children best and can help them by reinforcing what we teach. 

At times, I even have parents down on the floor with me during a session- learning a particular movement that they can do with their child, playing with us or even enjoying "rest time". It's a special time for the child when their parent is able to join in, it's very often joyful and relaxing. 

One time, in a Zoom session with one of my clients during the COVID-19 quarantine, both of us were lying down in another movement called a "hook-up". He was, obviously, at his house (on his side of the computer) and I was on mine. When we were finished, I looked up to see that his mother had joined him in a hook-up on the floor next to him. My heart melted.

Now, I would like to say that I understand that parents are not able to attend every session with us. I get it, I do. The older kids might want/need some independence and parents work or have things to do, and that's ok. But as I said, having a parent join the session can be a wonderful thing. The other benefit to a parent taking part is that it can really help the child to progress through the program faster. Parents and kids learn common vocabulary, movements and strategies that can be beneficial for not only them- but the rest of the family as well!

I love that the parents can be as much a part of Brain Fit as they desire. When we work with the child, we work with the parents and family too. Everyone becomes part of the Brain Fit family and we grow and learn- together.