Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happiness

"Amy's here!, Amy's here!" I could hear my 6-year old client saying to her mother as I approached the door to the house. 

It was the second (maybe third) session with this little girl. When I entered the house, she joyfully and excitedly greeted me with a card that she had hand-made for me. My heart melted. 

To this day, when I work with that same client (a little over a year later) she still has what her mom calls "Amy Energy". Excited, joyful and sometimes even a little silly- with all the energy.

This little girl is not the only one that I get that response from. I also have other clients that react that same way when I come to work with them. 

But here's the thing. I don't believe that it's solely ME that causes that reaction. 

Yes, I think that my Brain Fit Academy sessions are fun for kids. Yes, I think that I am good at relating to them and developing a good relationship. But it's more than that. I believe that on sub-conscious level, "Amy Energy" comes from them. Comes from the fact that their brain and body know what it needs. What it needs comes with me, but not from me.

What I mean by that is that the body knows what it needs (read the linked post if you want to know more) so when the child started coming to Brain Fit and experiencing the movements and activities we do, it's like their brain and body reacted with "finally!" just what I need!!

So you see- it's not ME, it's Brain Fit. It's our methods, it's the movements. It's the movements that take the form of "work","rest" and "play" that causes that excitement- that energy. That "Amy Energy". 

When I'm working with clients, I don't have to convince them to do the work. I don't have to cajole them into doing what I "think" they should be doing. I don't have to persuade them, or use reward systems because if that's the case, then what I'm asking them to do isn't right for them. 

It may be that whatever I'm asking them to do they aren't developmentally ready for- meaning that maybe their primitive reflexes haven't integrated enough to be ready. Or- maybe there are emotions getting in the way that need to be addressed. Or maybe, it's just not the right thing for that day. 

In any case, if I meet resistance to an activity, I rethink what I'm doing. I pay attention to the signals the child is giving me and I rethink the movement, or the game, or whatever it is. 

Now, that's not to say that sometimes I don't need to "guide" clients to what they need. I certainly do need to do that with some. And, I guess I'm pretty good at discerning when that is the appropriate thing to do. I'm good at knowing when it's the body and brain choosing an activity because it's needed- versus as an "escape" behavior. But honestly? If I'm seeing a lot of escape behaviors then it's a pretty big clue that something else might be in the way and that's when I would turn to looking at emotional blocks, or I might muscle check to see if there are other things that might be going on.

I titled this blog post "Happiness" because that's how so many of my clients feel about Brain Fit sessions. They are happy. We are working on the things that their brain and body need to feel better and so it brings joy to them. Innate, underlying joy. Even those clients who aren't exuberantly expressing their joy in the form of "Amy Energy" (like that one client) may express it in a different way, such as requesting continuation of sessions, or just generally looking forward to working with me each week.

And you know what else? All that happiness? That "Amy Energy"? 

It's contagious you know. 

When I work with clients I often get some of that "Amy Energy" as well and it's a good feeling. It's a good feeling because I know that I'm helping these children to be the best versions of themselves. I'm the facilitator of the movements and activities they need, and it brings me pure joy as well. 

Happiness.